Word Work Center for Sight Word Activities

Sight word reading activities for Kindergarten
Today I introduced new Literacy Activity Centers, one of which is a Word Work station. I stay at the Word Work station to help the small group of four students work through the activity.
Sight word reading activities for Kindergarten
First, I put on my princess tiara. This means that Mrs. Bremer is busy, and no one from the other stations may talk to me/ask me questions...unless one of the three B's is taking place: if they are Bleeding, Barfing, or need to go to the Bathroom. {Emergencies only}
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
It works like a charm!

Next, I show my small group the new sight word story. I have it mounted on sentence strips and placed in a pocket chart.
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
Today, the new sight word was like, so we highlighted that word in each sentence using these colored transparent cards:
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
This is what it looks like on the pocket chart:
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
Then I gave each student their own copy of the sight word book. I get all of my books from a great website here at Hubbard's Cupboard.

Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
We looked through each page of the book, searching for the sight word like. They highlighted the sight words on each page.
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
Then my students and I read the book aloud together, as they tracked print with their fancy fingernails.
{See here for my earlier post about these word-tracking beauties.} 
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
When we've been through the book, we put it aside and take out our sight word practice sheet. The students copy the sight word onto it for practice at home. I love this page...especially because it says right on it to 'hang it on the fridge'. 
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
I found the page here at Growing Kinders.
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
The word then gets mounted on my high-five chart, which hangs by the classroom door.
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten

Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten
Students read the word aloud & high-five it as they head out the door for dismissal.
Learn about this activity {here}

 The components for this Literacy Activity Center are kept in a color-coded tray, with the removable label I posted about here.
Sight Word Activities for Kindergarten

3 comments

  1. Hi Anita! We loved your word work center ideas and featured them at our blog, Kindergarten Lesson Plans!

    You can find the full feature here:
    http://kindergartenlessonplans.org/2052/word-work-centers/

    We were sure to give idea/photo credit, as well as a link back to your blog, but we'd love for you to take a look at it!

    Have a wonderful day,
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! You have an adorable blog. I just wanted to let you know that you are citing the source of the sight word page wrong. It is actually from my blog. Here is the link to the original post: http://growingkinders.blogspot.com/search/label/sight%20words

    I would really appreciate it if you used that link each time you post it. :) Citing correct sources in the blog world is just as important as in college! Thanks!!

    Kathleen
    Growing Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kathleen If you click the link I provided in my post it leads to a Scribd page posted by the person I've named, & that's where I found it...not sure why it's there and is on your blog too?? They look the same to me! It's a great page though :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.