Classroom Hack for Teachers: DIY Highlighting Cards for Your Pocket Chart

I'm linking up with Miss Kindergarten's
See {here} for her post, where you can find LOTS of great teaching tips!

It was sooo hard to narrow down what I should share, but since I have had a recent request about this, I knew it was the one! 
DIY highlighting cards to use in the pocket chart for primary classrooms
These used to be available for purchase, but I haven't seen them for a long while. Here's how you can make them yourself, at a fraction of the price!

First, find some colored, transparent binder dividers, like the ones shown below.
Classroom Hack for Teachers: Make DIY highlighting cards to use in your pocket chart!
Next, cut them to size. I cut mine to index card size, since my sight words and sentence strips are about that size. You could make smaller ones for highlighting just letters or punctuation.
Classroom Hack for Teachers: Make DIY highlighting cards to use in your pocket chart!
Classroom Hack for Teachers: Make DIY highlighting cards to use in your pocket chart! 
The above example shows the cards highlighting the names that begin with 'J'. 
Classroom Hack for Teachers: Make DIY highlighting cards to use in your pocket chart! 
Here's an example of the cards highlighting sight words in a sentence.
Classroom Hack for Teachers: Make DIY highlighting cards to use in your pocket chart!
Transparent, colored binder dividers are available at most office supply stores.

Your class will love participating in highlighting words on your pocket chart!

4 comments

  1. Great tip! Useful, inexpensive, and easy to prepare. You just can't beat that! Thanks for the idea!
    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I had never thought of this before. I will for sure be visiting my office supply store.
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh I may need to use my pocket chart more. Thanks for the tip!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.