Monday, May 21, 2012

Secret Code Spelling & May I Take Your Order? Freebie Mania!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Victoria Day. A nice long weekend.....

{My children have said to me several times that it feels like we're on summer holidays. Nope, 4 1/2 weeks left to go!}


Here is our latest round of Literacy Work Stations in my classroom. Several work with May's theme: God's Gift of Food.


MAY I TAKE YOUR ORDER?


In Math we have been practising our addition skills, so this activity combines both addition and writing.


Students take turns ordering from the menu, while the other writes down their order and tallies up their bill.

menu cover

Here's what my menu looks like.
{The prices were all in dollars, for easy addition.}

Here's the order form.

If you'd like a copy of my menu and order form, click on the links below.




SIGHT WORD BOOK


Our newest sight word book is all about our theme...FOOD.



We added the words on and my to our
high-five chart and Word Wall.
 
You can find the High Five chart {here}
sample:

 

Students highlighted the words on and my in their sight word books.


The sight word book is from Hubbards Cupboard, and is called




WRITE-STAMP-DECORATE



Students write, stamp, and decorate the newest sight words that we've learned.
 


The Write-Stamp-Decorate page is from Mrs. I.



SECRET CODE SPELLING


Using the Secret Codes page I found last summer on Pinterest from Mrs. Gilchrist's Class, I created some secret codes for my students to figure out.
So fun!


secret code page from Mrs. Gilchrist

answer writing pages from me :)

my answer writing pages

the clues I made, based on Mrs. Gilchrist's code sheet




LISTENING CENTRE


During our Guided Reading lessons, we've looked at several versions of The Little Red Hen and did some comparing/contrasting.


The students listened to a version of the story at the listening centre, then filled in this reader's response sheet from Mrs. Jump.

10 comments:

Alessia Albanese said...

Love your activities, Anita! Happy Victoria Day! Hope you are enjoying this amazing weather (I just came in for a cold drink...back out I go LOL!).

ΡΌ Alessia
Mrs. Albanese’s Kindergarten Class

Jessica Stanford said...

Love these ideas!!!
Blessings,

Jessica Stanford
Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog is Having a Giveaway!
My TpT Store

Lori said...

Lots of ideas! I love putting the sight words on the hands for a high five chart. Cute!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

Mrs. Cupcake said...

I love the menu idea!!
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

jalove said...

Love your ideas!! I would love a copy of your clue sheet and the writing response!! Thanks.

Anita said...

@jalove: You'll notice that there is a link to both in the blog post...click on "secret code page" and "answer writing pages" for the sheets you're looking for.
Anita

jalove said...

Thanks for such a QUICK response!! I'm having trouble with my school apple!! I will try at home on my PC! If not, here is my email... THANKS! jalove@capousd.org

jalove said...

Ok...sorry for all the back and forth! I really LOVE this activity, but for some reason my computer won't show your "Secret Code Spelling Clues" page 2. I'm soo sorry to bother, but is there any way to get an email copy?? THANKS!!!

Anita said...

@jalove Since I don't have Mrs. Gilchrist's clue pictures on my computer, I could not include it on the clue sheet I made. So what I did was put Mrs. Gilchrist's page under mine and traced the pictures onto it to make my own sight word clues. {You may have different words you wish to practice with your class, so you can trace the clues you need.} Hope this makes sense!
Anita

jalove said...

Totally!! Thanks so much. I think this is great for my kinders especially at the end of the year! Thanks for including your recording sheet! I hope I can trace as well as you! I do have different words.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.