Thursday, March 22, 2012

Gumball Words & Other Literacy Work Stations

We're back from March Break, and are back at learning!

Here are my latest Literacy Work Stations:

GUMBALL SIGHT WORDS


Using a label-maker, I printed ten sight words and stuck them onto decorative gems. I added several gems that had no words on them as well.



Students took turns turning the dial until a 'gumball' came out. If it had a sight word on it, all students in the group printed the word onto their gumball page.

You can find the gumball page at Mrs. I's blog.



If the 'gumball' was blank, no action was taken...they were added simply to heighten anticipation :)


WRITE THE ROOM


I 'hid' several Dr. Seuss book titles around the classroom.




Students searched the classroom for the book titles. When a title was found, students matched the title with the picture on their paper, then copied the book title onto their sheet.




SIGHT WORD BOOK


I looked all over for a sight word book introducing the word am, & found this great one at http://www.kindergartenkindergarten.com/2011/08/sight-word-readers.html



You can find details of my sight word lessons here.




LISTENING CENTRE


Students enjoyed listening to One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.



They then filled in a reader's response form, found at Mrs. Jump's blog.



WORD SEARCHES


I created several puzzles for students to practice their word-finding skills. 



One puzzle included all of our Sight Words to date, one was a list of the girls in our class, and one was made up of the boys in our class.

The FREE puzzle-making website I used to create these word searches is: Lakeshore Learning.

3 comments:

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

I need that gumball machine!!!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

sandi said...

I love the gumball sight word idea. I am going to keep my eyes open for a gumball machine at the right price. I also like your king of ing crowns. My kids love hunting for "ings" - we draw a crown around them.
I have awarded you the Lovely Blog Award. Check it out on my blog.

sandi
rubber boots and elf shoes

Joy of Life said...

I love all your photos, especially the "king if ing" and the Seuss "fish". They turned out great. I need to do better with adding photos, lol. I am your newest follower.

Joy of Life 2011

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.